Belleville Farmers Market was established in 1816.
Constructed in 1872-73, Belleville City Hall housed an indoor market on the first floor and, on the second floor, a dual-purpose public hall, auditorium, municipal office and council chamber. The 144' foot tower boasted a large clock visible from both east and west hills, a bell to summon firemen and policemen and a weather vane to show which way the wind was blowing. A pine flag staff rose from the tower. Since wooden poles kept breaking, an iron pole was substituted in 1912. Today, the pole extends 29 feet above the tower.
After yeoman service for almost a century, the building had fallen into disrepair. In 1986, renovations provided 10,000 square feet of additional floor space. The official reopening took place on October 30, 1988.
These improvements meant farmers could no longer conduct their business inside! Today local farmers and artisans use the Market Square behind City Hall, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays all the year round.